This has been our specialty since 2001 and we generally always have at least one of these projects in progress. One of our strengths is that we will take ownership of the patching required to repair the holes made by the rewire itself. As a result, our holes tend to be more “patching friendly” and our projects are completed faster. We will always treat your residence as a home not as a jobsite.

The start of the process is a written, detailed quotation which provides an itemized list of individual costs for your consideration. We will take the time to help you make the right choices for you. The Canadian Electrical Code is the minimum standard which ALL Electrical Contractors must adhere to. It is lacking in many areas.

In the end, by choosing Global Sun Energy Inc. you will have found that we:

  • Could be reached on the phone in a timely manner during our business hours to schedule a appointment for quotation.
  • Arrived on time for the quotation
  • Provided a written detailed quotation
  • Scheduled a specific start and finish date and delivered sufficient manpower to make it happen.
  • Arrange daily meetings or cell phone access with our Crew Leaders.
  • Cleaned up daily and minimized power interruptions.
  • Handled all arrangements with Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) and your Local Distribution Company (LDC).
  • Walked you through your entire home to ensure that you are satisfied.
  • Treated you and your home with respect and courtesy.
  • Encouraged you to provide honest feedback so we can constantly improve.

Why Knob & Tube Wiring Is Dangerous?


If your home is running on Knob & Tube wiring that means it is really old as they were used from the 1880s through the 1940s. One more thing that makes them dangerous for today’s’ home is the amount of electricity that is required for the daily needs like refrigeration, Television, air conditioning and more. So, if your home is running on Knob & Tube Wiring that means its overloaded most of the time and posing a threat of electrical fires. The rubberized cloth that keeps wires to get in contact with anything nearby gets warned off with time and can lead to serious fires and other electrical disasters.


In many cases, insulation is installed over Knob & Tube Wiring and that increases the chances for fire to break out. As the wires are quoted with rubber cloth for insulation, the extra layer of insulation does not leave any space for the heat to dissipate that gets build-up when the current is flowing through the wires. This can turn into a very serious hazard and might lead to the knob and tube rewiring.

Improper Alterations

Most problems with Knob & Tube Wiring arise from improper alterations that occur through DIY fixes or the local handyman. As it is an old wiring system, the availability of the parts is also an issue and that leads to local handymen trying their luck that results in practices like using scotch tape instead of electrical tape. One of the worse situations is when a high ampere fuse is installed that can easily overload the circuit and lead to Knob & Tube Wiring or replacement altogether.

Absence of Ground Wire

The absence of ground wire also makes the Knob & Tube Wiring unsafe to be used with modern three-prong appliances and other devices. This creates greater danger for the electronics and increases the chances of fire which can put your loved ones safety in danger.

Does Not Do Well With Moisture

Knob & Tube Wiring is not suitable to be used in moist environments. This makes them dangerous when exposed to wet areas, such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry, utility rooms, and outdoors. They possess a high risk of giving a shock to anyone who is nearby.


  1. What is “Knob and Tube” type wiring?
    A. This is the first generation of wiring in Canada. Shortly after the end of WWII, it was abandoned for “Two conductor/Cloth covered” type wiring. This type of wiring uses ceramic knobs to support individual wires running along the wooden beams, and ceramic tubes to pass through wooden beams. The connections are done by splicing, soldering and taping. This is usually well done, however not very accessible for any future repairs/alterations.
  2. Why is it unsafe?
    A. There is no ground wire. This presents a shock hazard, and could lead to an electrical fire. It has no temperature rating. This is why the wires above ceiling mounted fixtures are so commonly compromised. It is a free air wiring system and was never meant to be covered by insulation.